Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Post Secret

There's this blog called Post Secret. People send in postcards with secrets on them and they are posted online for all to see but no one to know the author.
Tonight at youth group Justin asked everyone to make their own Post Secret card. We compiled about 30 cards from students and sponsors and they were read aloud (but not mailed). I could identify with the feelings of many of the writers. Feeling the need to be productive, allow God to use them, making good decisions. Many felt pressure to be perfect.
We asked if anyone felt pressure from parents to be perfect and a few raised their hands. That made me sad. I realize that most parents don't want to stress their kids out with expectations. I just wish they would tell that to the kids.
I don't remember being pressured by my parents to be perfect.
In fact, I remember the opposite.
One day I was riding in my dad's old brown Chevy helping him do the chores, feeding cattle and the like. My dad started talking to me about my sister. You have to know that my sister was a smarty-pants. She still is. We call her the doctor because any time someone is having a medical problem she researches it and knows all kinds of stuff and can talk to doctors without sounding stupid. She's a smarty-pants. She is 3 years older than me and was just finishing high school. She got all A's. Well, I think she got a B somewhere along the line. She was a great student and earned all of her awesome grades.
That afternoon as I was holding the door of the truck shut, Dad told me that I didn't have to get A's like my sister. My best work was good enough for him.
I still remember that conversation, about a dozen years later.
I don't think we realize the impact our words have on people. Words from a parent are so influential. I'm going to try today (well, tomorrow) to use my words to encourage each person in my family and whoever I meet along the way. Hopefully they will remember the positive, encouraging things I say.

Thanks, Dad.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks. I'm glad you didn't feel like we pressured you to be perfect. It's after 1 am and I'm still awake thinking about guess what? All the people influenced by your dad, especially during his last 17 months. I just don't know how anyone could have watched our family duirng that time and not believe in God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jodi you are amazing. I know I tell you that all the time, so I don't want it to lose it's umph, but it's true. I learn so much from you. The Post Secret wall was...well there are no words. Today I will be productive. Love your heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing that. As a mom to an impressionable 13year old, what you said means a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing that, it was a wonderful thing to read first thing in the morning. I have to say I do think it's funny that the way you probably looked up to your sister is the way I look up to you (but only in a good way). I always hope that someday I can be as amazing wife/mother/friend as you are all the time :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, "smarty-pants" is nice. And a little funny.

    ReplyDelete