Thursday, October 9, 2008

Where Have I Been?

For the hundreds of you who regularly read my blog, I believe I owe you an explanation about my absence from blogging this week. I think I can sum it up in one word: mastitis. For those of you that have nursed your babies, I'm sure you understand. For the rest of you, mastitis is an infection typically caused by a clogged milk duct.
Here's my story:
Saturday we went to the Nelson Atkins Museum (pictures and the story will be posted sometime). In order to avoid nursing in public, I took a bottle for Judah and pumped when we got home. I was feeling rather full by the time I pumped and was starting to feel a little pain. Saturday evening we had girls/guys night. I had the boys at my friend Wendy's house for a movie. While we were there Judah wasn't wanting to eat for some reason. The pain increased. When we got home, I was cold and my back was aching while Judah was nursing. I asked James to take my temperature, fearing the worst. I wasn't running a fever so I figured that I was just super tired and went to bed.
Sunday morning I felt a lot better. I had a headache so I took some Tylenol and went to church. After church we went to someone's house for lunch. We cut out early because I was starting to feel feverish. By the time I got home, I definitely had a fever.
James was on the phone talking to nurses and doctors, my sister, someone to watch the boys and he was also taking care of me. It was pretty hot in the house but I was freezing. I ended up with four blankets! I talked with a doctor and she told me to go to the emergency room. As soon as our friend Dawn got here to watch the boys, we headed for the ER.
I won't share all the details from the emergency room, mainly because I can't remember all of them. I was mad that they didn't give me a blanket since it wouldn't have helped lower my fever. The most interesting thing is that I was loopy. I said a lot of silly things and I knew it but couldn't stop. James was a little scared since I wasn't acting like myself. If you want more details about the things I said, you can ask James. He's much better at telling the stories. My fever finally broke after a couple hours. Our pastor and youth pastor and his wife came. We're good friends with all of them so it was comforting to have them there.
Once my fever was down and I was diagnosed with mastitis, we went home. We were shocked to find that Dawn had made some chicken noodle soup. She took such good care of our boys. Anyhow, James drove to Independence to get my prescription filled while Dawn stayed with me. My mom and sister Melinda got in late Sunday night. They have been a huge help.
I have felt a little better every day. Monday I had a huge headache. Tuesday I think I had more pain, but less headache. I also went to the doctor. She said I was doing all the right things and told me to see my normal doctor on Friday. Melinda and little Lea also went home on Tuesday. Wednesday I felt almost normal, but would get light headed when I tried to do things around the house. Today I feel a lot better. I have a little bit of a headache, but I've been trying to cut back on the Tylenol and Ibuprofen.
On another note, Asa has a new tooth. We thought he was getting close to cutting some new ones. It's the left eye tooth. He also threw up in his bed at nap time today. I don't know if it happened before or after he fell asleep. I think this is his first experience really throwing up. And James wasn't home to see it. Asa isn't acting sick now so I don't know what's wrong with him. Maybe I'll blog again next week...

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Jodi, I'm so sorry!!! I had my first bout with mastitis about a month ago. My mom nursed 8 kids and only had it once, but it was a really miserable experience for her, so I know all about it. Because of that I have always been super vigilant about clogged ducts. Anyway, when I got mastitis I caught it early enough that I didn't have to take anti-biotics. I pretty much massaged it out over three days. But dang, I nearly passed out every time I moved. I lived off ibuprofen and tylenol for those days! I'm so sorry yours got so much worse!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had mastitis, but I have thrush with both Tate and Callie. With Callie I let it go so long before getting medical help that I was bleeding *there*. It was by far the worst pain I've experienced(worse than labor even). I've heard mastitis is also terrible, so sorry to hear you had it! I can't wait to be done nursing! I'm going to have a party!

    ReplyDelete