Wednesday, January 7, 2009

I'm Officially an Idiot

I know what you're saying, "That's too harsh, Jodi. You're not an idiot. You're beautiful, smart, a great mother, bla, bla, bla."
Well, I am going to have to disagree with you. I'm about to tell a story that my friends and family still tease me about to this day. One day during the summer after my freshman year of high school I was making puppy chow. In case you live in a cave and don't know what it is:
Melt:
1 stick margarine
1/2 c peanut butter
1 c chocolate chips
Pour over 6 cups crispex cereal. Mix well and then coat with 2 cups powdered sugar. (I usually put the coated cereal in a big container, add the sugar and shake until it's well coated.)

Anyhow, I asked my mom which container had the powdered sugar and she got it out for me. I finished making the puppy chow and tasted it. Something wasn't quite right. I had used corn starch instead of powdered sugar. Ugh. I think we added some powdered sugar and ate some of it but it was terrible!

Fast forward to 2009.
A couple days ago I was looking in the cupboard at my baking supplies and noticed that I had both a container of powdered sugar and an opened bag of powdered sugar. That's perfect for puppy chow. This morning I got up before the children to do some cleaning and make puppy chow for the teens at church. I've made it a million times at this point in my life. People are always saying it's delicious and love it when I make the addicting treat. Well, after I added the powdered sugar, I opened up the container and it looked so delicious that I had to taste it. Ugh, I'm an idiot! It was corn starch again! It was a container of cornstarch in the cupboard, not powdered sugar. I guess I need to start labeling things in my pantry.

3 comments:

  1. Okay, that is HILARIOUS!! I laughed out loud! I'm really sorry you did it again, though. What a waste of ingredients. :( When I was about 13 I made brownies ... except rather than putting in 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda, I put in 1/2 CUP. Yeah, they were revolting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is SO FUNNY! I remember the first time you did that, that was the night I fell in manure. Good times we had I say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL!! Very funny! It would make a great April Fool's Day trick to pull on people though. You could save it and give it out as gifts to fool people.

    Now if you repeat this a 3rd time a few years down the road, it'll be even more hilariously funny.

    ReplyDelete