Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Extreme Makeover

A little more than three years ago James and I moved to Lee's Summit. He was taking a few seminary classes in Kansas City and we found a cheap place to rent. James looked on the Church of the Nazarene's website to find the nearest Nazarene church. We went that first Sunday with hopes of finding a place where we could be involved and grow in our faith. Three years later we have the closest friends we've ever had. Keep reading to see what I mean.
A couple weeks ago we went to Tipton to visit my sister (Melinda) and her family. It was a pretty short trip but we had a great time. We ate a lot of good food, saw most of the rest of my family, went to the super fun library and played games. Asa and Judah loved playing with Zoe and Lea. I also went to the high school with Melinda as she taught a class. They have a really cool high school, especially for such a small town. Melinda & Ryan had recently moved into a new house and it is awesome! It's an older house with really cool features like built in storage and beautiful wood-work. They have so much space!
As we drove home, I was talking to my sister and was still on the phone with her when we pulled in the driveway. I noticed that outside lights in the front and back were on as well as a light inside the house. I was a little freaked out because we never leave lights on when we go out of town, especially three lights! Melinda told me that something was going on and we should just go inside. What on earth? James and I walked in to see our living room and kitchen completely made over. As we were crying and I was trying to explain to Melinda what had happened, a few of my friends walked in the door. We were filled in on the little scheme as we looked around at our new home. We walked back to the bedrooms and found Asa's room without purple carpet and with blue walls. They had pulled up the carpet and refinished the hardwood floor. It is so beautiful! Asa also has a new comforter and end table. There were a couple new outfits for the boys as well. Then we went into our bedroom. Can I just say amazing? We had mocha colored walls with our blue & white striped comforter. Now there are gray walls with a beautiful light blue-gray & dark brown comforter set. Then we went downstairs and found an organized basement with some of James' artwork on the walls.
During the whole tour I was wondering how they did so much work in two days and how they got into our house. Apparently there were a lot of people in our house while we were out of town. My oldest sister had been down for a visit in October and stole a key to the back door for our friends.
Here's what I'm thinking: We have great friends! We are loved more than I ever understood. These people gave up a lot of time and money for us. I don't really get it! The timing was perfect. This week we hosted James' parents and we have a beautiful house. They also cleaned and stashed away all the clutter. It was so refreshing just to have a clean house!
I'm not doing a very good job explaining everything but I've added some pictures. They don't even show the beauty but it's close. Please excuse our luggage; it wasn't there when we walked through the doors! I don't have a good picture of Asa's room. There are also beautiful pictures of our kids as the focal point in the living room. I think part of the greatness of this makeover is the previous state of our house. We hadn't painted or decorated at all since we moved in back at the end of August.

Living room with new TV & TV stand:


Living room, new curtains and recliner:


Dining area of the kitchen, new paint, table, place settings, mirror & curtains:


Bathroom with my friend Amy's great painting:


Our bedroom:


The bathroom off our bedroom, wallpaper gone, beautiful paint, towels and a sink that works:

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I want to cry!! I can't believe they would do that for you. You weren't kidding when you said you had awesome friends. It looks so great. I'm glad you took pictures for those of us that are far away!

    ReplyDelete