Monday, September 8, 2008

the Lights and the Terrible, Horrible, no Good, Very Bad Day

Well, it wasn't quite that bad, but Saturday didn't go as we had planned.
It all started on Friday. James went with a co-worker to Cosco to get some diapers for Asa. When he got home, he remembered that he left the diapers at work. We only had a few diapers left for Asa so we had to decide if we would drive to Nazarene Publishing House Saturday or buy some over the weekend.
We had tickets for the Royals Game from NPH for Saturday night and were planning to take the boys. So we came up with a plan. We would drive to Independence, return something at J C Penney's, go to Family Christian Stores, get the diapers from NPH and then go to the Royals Game. We had done some figuring so we knew what time to leave home so we would have time to do everything and make it to the game.
We started out at about 2:00 and made our way to J C Penney's. It's in the mall in Independence, about 10 minutes away. The area is always full of people on Saturdays. We had to wait through a couple red lights just to get onto the street that goes by the mall. When we pulled in the parking lot, I was trying to remember where the J C Penney's is in the mall. Then it hit me. It's not in the mall, but a couple blocks in the opposite direction. I broke the news to James. We were both glad that I remembered before we got inside the mall. We made it over to the actual J C Penney's and James found a pair of pants that fit and was on clearance.
When we were loading up the van, I remembered I had forgotten the gift certificate for Family Christian Stores. James asked if I happened to grab the tickets for the game. The answer was no. So we had to drive home to get them. Meanwhile Asa was frustrated to be in his car seat. He was happy if he could hold my hand. So I sat with my arm uncomfortably in the back seat holding Asa's hand.
We drove home to get the tickets and gift certificate and then back to the Family Christian Store. I went in with Asa to get the Superchick CD we wanted. Everything went smoothly. We drove over to NPH to pick up the diapers. It was raining a little bit, but James had told me that it was supposed to clear up. We didn't have umbrellas or anything to shelter us from the rain at the game. We got to NPH and James couldn't get in the building. His key card worked, but he still couldn't get in. We drove around and tried every single door. So we drove out of our way to get the diapers and couldn't get in. Totally inconvenient.
Next we got to the game. I sat in the van and fed Judah while James changed Asa's diaper and got him bundled up for the game. We didn't have the snuggly so I carried Judah and James carried Asa. That was probably the worst part of the game, carrying the kids around. They did pretty well during the game. Asa especially liked the occasional fireworks and videos on the big screen. He also enjoyed eating peanuts. Judah pretty much sat around and was happy.
When we got home, I went to Target to get diapers. We hadn't really eaten dinner, so I stopped by Taco Bell to get something. I couldn't remember what James liked and none of the items on the value menu jumped out to me. I got James a rice and bean burrito, thinking it was what he liked. I got home and gave him the surprise, then realized that's not what he would want. I felt so stupid because it should have been obvious to me that he wouldn't like something with beans. It really wasn't that big of a deal. It just seemed like if something could go wrong all the day, it did.
Looking back a couple days later, I don't think it was all that bad. We were able to laugh at the irony of our bad luck on what we had carefully planned to be a fun day.
Most of the family at the game:


Asa likes holding Judah:

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I so hate when you go out of your way to do something, and then it doesn't work out! You feel like calling out to someone, "Do you even KNOW what I went through to get here?? You can't even fathom how hard it is to drag these kids around!!" Of course, it doesn't seem so bad in the long run, but still. The pictures from the game are darling! (How on earth did you get your hair to look so great??)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess the rain helped the natural crazy curls to keep from frizzing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When it's a "Terrible, Horrible, no good Very Bad Day" do you say "maybe we'll move to Arizona?" Wishful thinking!

    ReplyDelete