Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A Great Memory

Today marks two years since my dad went on to be in heaven. I am so sad but also very glad for my dad's life and the great memories I have. One of the more memorable moments was one summer walking beans. I was the only kid left at home and sometimes these times working with just Dad could get boring and uncomfortable, that akward silence. The day I remember Dad asked me if I could live anywhere where would I choose. I had some friends in Arizona and thought that it would be pretty cool to live closer to them. But in the end, I said that I would want to finish school here with my friends. I didn't know at the time, but my parents were close to making the decision to quit farming. My dad wanted me to have some input to where we would live. I look back at that and really appreciate my dad having that conversation with me.
Another fond memory is Dad playing with my nieces and nephew. I never liked doing "tricks" with Dad when I was little. I was always afraid someone would get hurt as Dad flung them high in the air on his feet. As an adult, I loved hearing the kids giggle and squeal when they jumped on their grandpa or were lifted high in the air. I think I am most sad because I will never get to see my dad play with my kids.




PS: If you ever hear me laugh when one of my boys appears to be choking on something and makes a hacking sound, it's just because Dad was always making that sound. It's a nice little reminder of my dad!

3 comments:

  1. That was beautiful! I loved seeing the pictures of your dad. I bet he was a wonderful person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jodi! I loved reading your blog about your dad - I can imagine that writing about him and talking about him helps to keep him just a little closer. I am glad you have photos and fun memories you can share with Asa and Judah when they are old enough to know about their Grandpa.

    -Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully said. He would be so proud so see today the young woman you are becoming to be.

    Joleen

    ReplyDelete