Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving Road Trip: part 1

This is my journal from our little drive from Kansas City to Arizona to visit James' family this Thanksgiving.

9:30 PM

We are about half an hour away from Oklahoma City. The trip hasn’t been the greatest, but we still are optimistic. I type to the sounds of Christian music on our satellite radio and Judah crying.
I left around 3:30 to pick James up at work. Poop leaked out of Judah’s diaper and Asa was screaming by the time we got to NPH. It was 4:30 by the time we left. I drove the first leg. I think James might have fallen asleep for a little bit. Asa watched a Baby Einstein movie a few times on our computer. And I think Judah slept. After about an hour James had to sit in the middle seat to entertain Asa. We ate our sandwiches and Asa was happy a little while longer. Around 6:30 we got tangled up in a traffic jam. There was a truck with a sign that said “accident ahead” but we never saw an accident. We were going 10 mph for about a mile then we sped up to 30 for a few more miles. Things finally cleared up right after the place where a trooper was taking inventory of people’s speeds. James said he hoped we weren’t slowed down because of him.
Shortly after that mess the kids got fussy. We were on the Kansas Turnpike and stopped at a McDonald’s. It was packed with people also! We let Asa walk around for a while and changed Judah’s diaper. When we got back in the van, I sat in the back with the boys and James drove. It was about 7:30. I held a bottle for Judah with one hand and Asa held my other hand so he could fall asleep. I think it’s sweet that he likes holding his Mom’s hand. Don’t worry, I cherished the moment because I know it won’t last forever. Judah was happy for a while after he finished his bottle, but was soon pretty fussy, as he is now. I think I might go back and hold him for a little bit.

10:45
We’re getting gas in Oklahoma City. ($1.47) I got Judah to calm down and fall asleep. Asa has screamed out a few times because he can’t roll over in his car seat. Poor kid. I’m just glad he quiets himself. I also slept for a while. And now I’m going back to sleep!

2:30 AM Thanksgiving Day
Gas stop in Amarillo, Texas. ($1.56) James pulled over about two hours ago to let me drive. (I was begging….) Asa was awake watching Veggie Tales for these last two hours. For a while he was watching the menu and was entertained. He started asking for a drink so James gave him a water bottle. He drank a lot and then played with the bottle and got all wet. We changed him at this stop. Judah also woke up and had some milk. He is quietly sitting in his car seat.
I’ve seen these signs many times before, but it still is interesting to me. There’s a fold down sign before every bridge in the southern states that says “Icy Bridge.” That’s all I have to say about that.

3:41 AM
Boys are sleeping, I should be too.

7:29 AM (Mountain Time Zone)
I really can’t remember what happened the last several hours. There was crying, sleeping, driving, switching drivers and lots of climbing from the front to middle seat. We are on our way out of the Flying J here in Albuquerque. (Type that ten times!) Gas was $1.63. We also stopped by the McDonald’s for a sausage biscuit. As we were leaving, I realized that the McDonald’s was open on Thanksgiving day. I should have ordered a turkey biscuit.

11:30 AM
We have arrived in Winslow! We had to stop twice to change diapers. A car actually stopped to ask if we needed help as we were sitting on the side of the road. That was pretty thoughtful of them. Asa is pretty happy to see his Grandma and Grandpa, even though he has just woken up from a nap.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a really long and miserable drive!! We haven't done any long trips since Enoch was born, and I'm wondering how on earth we'll last without that empty seat in back! (We only have one car - a Toyota Corolla with three carseat squished in the back.) You are so nice to make that trip to see your in-laws! I hope you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete