Wednesday, July 15, 2009

4th of July Excitement

Our 4th of July weekend was busy. Friday morning we got up and drove up to Iowa for my friend Claire's wedding. She is one of my good friends from college. We stayed at a nice hotel right next to the place of reception. The kids loved being in a hotel. I don't know what it was, but Asa was so happy to be there.
Here we see Asa relaxing on the bed, watching some TV:


The wedding was great, except for the fact that our kids were there. They weren't bad but were just kids. James took them out about half way through. We had some down time before the reception so we let the kids run around in the room for a while. We had a great time at the reception. We sat with some of my friends from college. It was great to spend time with them again. Asa loved the dance. Judah almost got stepped on but enjoyed dancing as well.



After the reception we decided to put the kids down for bed in our room and then go to another room to talk with our friends. You may think this was a terrible idea, but it worked so well. We set up the monitors and were only a few doors down. The shocking thing is that both boys went down without any problems. Judah slept in our pack & play but we didn't have anything for Asa except for the second queen size bed. He has never slept in a regular bed by himself and this one was about three feet off the ground. We lined the edge with pillows and told him that it was time for him to lay down. Lucky for us he was exhausted enough that he fell asleep fine. We were able to stay up way too late with friends and didn't have to deal with our kids. It was awesome!

Saturday morning we got up early to drive to my mom's house. We had a little birthday party for Judah. My sisters and brother were there with their kids. We had a great time! Judah made a royal mess with his cake and got some cool gifts!




After the party we drove home with the hope of seeing fireworks all along the four hour drive. We were lucky enough to see lot of fireworks. We kept pointing them out to Asa. He in turn would say, "Judah, look. Fireworks! See 'em?" Very cute. We were about 20 minutes from home when traffic slowed. There had been an accident on 435 and we were stopped for at least ten minutes. It was inconvenient but we were able to just sit and watch fireworks all around us.

We finally got home around 10:00 and realized that we were out of wipes. I had to run to the store after we got the kids in bed. When I got back I was watching the Capital Fourth special. Barry Manillo was on and at first I thought he was doing a parody, but then I realized that he is just like that. (Do you know what I mean?) Wow. I think he's better heard and not seen. I hope I don't offend anyone. Before him was Aretha Franklin. She can still sing! I was a little afraid that she was going to pass out during one of her songs. She seemed to have some trouble getting around.

The rest of the weekend was pretty calm. We went to church and just relaxed Sunday afternoon. Everyone was ready for some quiet after our busy weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment